Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My new challenge

Jim and I did a comparison of miles driven over the course of a work week.
I was driving about ten miles fewer than a single round-trip for him between our house and where the RV is parked....so I am now driving the big truck instead of my minivan in an effort to save on gas.
I am adjusting just fine. One of the features that the truck has is a display that gives you information such as outside temperature, direction, miles per gallon, etc.
It has the miles per gallon both as an instantaneous reading and as an average overall reading. So my new challenge has been to keep the instantaneous reading as high as possible so it bumps up the average overall reading. With hard work and dedication to not being in a hurry I have managed to bump it up .3 miles per gallon more. Woohoo! Go me!

4 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

Ok, I don't feel so geeky now. My car has the built in GPS, and it's been my challenge to find routes that reduce the miles I drive as much as possible. I haven't been working on the mpg yet, but since I have that data too, maybe I will!

Susan Z said...

If you end up spending a lot of time running around in the car taking children places it just seems like something to make it more interesting.

Lisa C said...

I did the same thing when I got my car. I've stopped doing that quite so much because I've had it long enough now that I know in general how to max the miles out and it never makes a huge difference overall. I'm surprised that your minivan gets less MPG then the truck. Would have thought it was the other way around.

Susan Z said...

It is the truck that gets fewer than the minivan...I am driving the truck and Jim has the minivan.