Monday, October 25, 2010

A delight from my childhood

It has off and on been driving me crazy. There is a book series about a little witch and I could not remember the name. I remember her fondly from my childhood.

So last week I posted on a social network a short description ...and like that, in a matter of minutes, friends had found the title and were remembering it fondly also.

The series is by Patricia Coombs. It is the Dorrie the Little Witch series.
My public library was not much help. They had two books listed, but one was listed without any shelving information and the other was listed as being there but I could not find it (and did not have time to query the librarian).
HOWEVER! The curriculum library on campus has six of the books! WOOOHOO

I checked out three and the kids and I have been enjoying them.
Sadly, the stamps at the front of the book show that the last time anyone has checked out the books are in 2003 and 2004.
I know good new books are being written. But I am strangely traditional and sentimental about picture books. I am absolutely delighted to have introduced my own children to Dorrie.

2 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

The librarian at William's school knew it immediately when I asked, and it's one of her favorites, too. She always puts them on top of the bookcases during October, but she says the kids aren't really interested in them anymore. :(

Susan Z said...

My kids are loving them. It is so interesting to read them again as an adult. I will say I find the pictures charming...but since they are mostly pencil sketches with a bit of color here and there, they are certainly not as flashy as many of the books out there. The stories are still charming and I think she is a good model for children (spunky, mostly well-behaved, tries to do the right thing...)