Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Play money

It all started when I was driving back home with the kids. Andy said, "We should make some play money."

So I asked, "What would you buy with it?"

We had a small discussion about how you could not really spend it in a store, but then we decided that it could be currency around the house.
So we started talking about a list of what you could do to earn money and what you could spend it on.

Now each child has a small "wallet" made from construction paper. The "Bank of Mom" has printed out $1, $5, $10, and $20 dollar bills on colorful cardstock. We have a list with suggested tasks to earn money (everything from making your bed, unloading the dishwasher, brushing your own teeth, to doing your homework quickly). We also have a list of things you could buy with the money (TV or computer time, dinner choices, sleeping in your sleeping bag, etc.). I may need to adjust amounts some depending on how much they earn daily and how easy I want it to be for them to earn certain things, but so far they are really excited.
I was never really good with keeping up with the chore chart, but perhaps this will put more responsibility on them and make it more exciting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! My boys love play money but are still a bit young to really understand value of different coins or bills. Great learning exercise though. I think I'm going to steal this one from you when the time is right.
--Lara

Susan Z said...

I'll share my list with you because we came up with quite a few basically free rewards they can buy. Josie is doing it too. She can't really add yet but she gets the idea and I have to tell her how much she has and what she can buy. All three kids traded in money to sleep in their sleeping bags tonight.