Sunday, February 21, 2010

Reflective

I have been in sort of a reflective mood this evening.
I think it is because this week I have a lot going on. It is not unusual for me to have a lot going on...but some weeks are worse than others and sometimes it just gets to me.

One time I went to a conference where a keynote speaker commented that our best assets are often also our worst problems. In her case she was talking about how she used to get in trouble for talking too much and now people pay her to talk.
For me I can think of times when my caution has saved me from making an unwise decision, but it has also meant I missed opportunities. My perfectionism means that I do well in most classes, but I am also tempted to give in rather than have to try and possibly fail when something makes me a bit nervous.
So this week I am trying not to be my own worst enemy. I have to do my oral comps which basically means that I go into a room for 90 minutes to two hours and a group of professors can ask me about what I wrote on my written comps and then just about anything else they want to ask me about within my field.
I am trying to convince myself to be confident and that I really do know the content of my field. My biggest fear is just stumbling over words and giving a completely unorganized answer.
I am praying for confidence and for the right words to come out of my mouth on Thursday morning starting about 9:15.

2 comments:

Jill in MA said...

Good luck! You're right, confidence is everything with something like this. Believe in yourself, and all those professors will believe in you, too!

Ann in NJ said...

You can do this. You know this stuff, and think how you feel when you're having a discussion with colleagues - then it's fun, right? And if you were truly a fraud, you wouldn't have gotten as far as you have!

That doesn't sound as confidence-building as it was supposed to...