Sunday, October 5, 2008

Feeling somewhat accomplished

I am not really an outdoors type person. I really am very happy inside. I don't mind hiking on a well-groomed trail and I have enjoyed the occasional camping trip in a tent (though I prefer a trailer).
However, there is something to be said for some serious yard work. It kind of feels good to see some progress and to do some physical labor and know that you have worked. In some ways it is more satisfying then seeing a paper grow longer when you are writing or a stack of grading grow if you are a teacher.
This weekend Jim and I tackled a small portion of our backyard. Jim trimmed and cut and made huge piles, while I lugged it to the curb. The pile is taller than our children and longer than a minivan. It also has at least three bags of leaves (from last year that were still in the "garden" areas of the lawn). Doug & Andy helped some. So it does feel like we accomplished something and I think our muscles are agreeing.

I also found an old white sheet. So with a permanent marker and some thread we made ghosts so now we have some Halloween decorations hanging from our front porch and in a tree! The kids are very excited.

1 comment:

Ann in NJ said...

Hey, good job! I like jobs where there is visible progress. I can spend an hour paying bills and it looks like I've moved the stack of paper from one side of the desk to the other.