Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What I've been listening to....

Other than I sometimes get behind in listening to podcasts, I am enjoying listening to a variety of podcasts. I subscribe through iTunes, but I know all of these are available at the websites of the producers.
Here is the list of what I currently subscribe to in podcasts (APM= American Public Media, NPR= National Public Radio, PRI=Public Radio International):

Garrison Keillor's The Writers Almanac (APM)- 5 minutes of literary and poetry focus, I usually learn a new interesting fact or two

The Splendid Table (APM)- almost and hour about food, the usual format is talk about a food find, talk to food experts, take calls from listeners

7AM ET News Summary (NPR)- more news in 5 minutes than most radio stations do in the whole day

Car Talk (NPR)- An hour of Click and Clack solving (or at least discussing) car problems

StoryCorps (NPR)- anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes of people, usually 2, having a conversation about life. I have often found myself teary eyed if not crying listening.

Sunday Puzzle (NPR)- The on air word puzzle with Will Shortz and Leann Hanson.

Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! (NPR)- An hour of humor with the news. I LOVE this show. It used to play during church but now I can listen to it whenever. I am a BIG fan.

On Economic Virtue (APM)- 15-20 minutes of people talking about the economic downtown in terms of spiritual, religion, and values. I find it a fresh take on what is going on. A lot of what keeps coming up again and again is that much of this is caused by humans isolating themselves and that much could be corrected by people making connections with each other.

Science and Creativity
(PRI)- 5 to 10 minutes of someone who is truly doing something innovative in science. A variety of scientific topics are covered and I LOVE this podcast because I find it refreshing, exciting, and innovative.

This I Believe (Not sure...NPR?)- 5ish minutes, people's essays about what they believe in for their lives. I love the perspective and the introspection.

1 comment:

Ann in NJ said...

Oh No! More things I want to listen too but won't find the time! Aaagh! What have you done?

Actually, there are several on the list that I already enjoy, so thanks for the tips on some new ones!