Sunday, May 31, 2009

What I have been doing (otherwise entitled Why I haven't posted for awhile...)

It was a very busy week.
I honestly don't even remember what I did last Monday. It feels like that long ago.
So here are some highlights:

Tuesday- Josie had her two year check-up. Things look pretty good. She is above average on height and below average (we're talking like 25 percentile) on weight but the Ped finally seems to accept that it as just how Josie is. She was a little low on iron but not unexpectedly low.

Wednesday- Jim basically catered for 100 people a BBQ kick-off for Vacation Bible School. He did chicken on a huge grill we borrowed from some friends. There were beans, watermelon, bags of chips, and brownies. I spent most of the afternoon running errands. They had huge bouncy blow-up things so my kids got to play on them from start until finish because of the fact that Jim was there cooking.

Thursday- I had my first go at advising incoming students. I will be helping with orientations all summer as part of my job (along with teaching) so I just hope I do not steer anyone wrong.

Friday- After weeks of work registering and organizing students into classes letters went out to 180ish K-8 students for a summer program. I only suffered a couple paper cuts.

Saturday- Jim and I helped usher two ceremonies for somewhere around 400+ seventh graders who scored high on the SAT or ACT as part of the Duke Talent Identification Program. We had placed information bags and Book Store coupons on every chair in the place the day before (Andy & Doug were actually big helpers!). I got to hand each student the medal and shake his or her hand. Let me tell you that 95% of them were slightly clammy and probably 70% of 7th graders have not developed a firm handshake. Most get the "shake with the right while reaching for the medal with the left hand" deal...but a few seem reluctant (or lazy?) to raise that extra hand and that can be a bit awkward. I even saw two of my former students since the students come from all over the state.
We finished with the ceremonies in time to see Doug, Andy, and Josie at a birthday party for a friend from preschool.

Sunday- I am taking a deep breath and getting ready to get on top of things. Classes start this week. I am taking one. I am teaching one that is in the process of change at the moment. I am working on finishing an independent study with a professor. There are other things I would really like to do (and get done) so it promises to be a VERY busy summer.

No comments: