Wednesday, August 26, 2009

New(ish) addiction

Jim ordered us the newspaper. I do glance at the comics and I try to glance at the rest of the paper...however the main thing that has held our attention has been the crossword puzzle.

We usually work it together. We do the one in our local paper. We have only had moderate success with some of the ones from the bigger papers. One Friday they have the Washington Post puzzle in the TV insert and the New York Times crossword on Sundays. The Washington Post one is just a bit strange in my mind. It is usually themed and is often not so much about vocabulary as being current on celebrities (which I have oh, so much time to keep up on THAT topic...).

So we usually do pretty well on the local day-to-day one. I am finding out (or perhaps I already knew) a few things about myself and crosswords:
  1. I am seriously hampered by my lack of spelling skills.
  2. I actually have a reasonably good vocabulary.
  3. I have problem solving skills and strategies.
We do not look up answers although I do check the occasional word (usually for spelling...as I said "seriously hampered") in our big dictionary.

No comments: