Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Speech Therapy

Andy had his first day of speech therapy.
Because Jim is still looking for a job I was able to leave the other children at home and just take him (I got to work while I waited).
His therapist will be Megan.
I think they might have done a little bit of actual work, but the main thing they did today was get to know each other.

Despite the fact that when we went for the testing he was shy...Megan reported today that he was not shy at all.
She had a bunch of toys and games and apparently he immediately told her what he did like and what he was not going to play with out of the things that she had.
Andy reported to me that they played a game where you turn out the light, one person closes his or her eyes while the other person hides some toys. Then you use the flashlight to find the toys.

He also got a toy out of their prize cabinet. He has been generous about sharing his toy with Doug and Josie. This has also caused Doug to want to go to speech therapy.

From what some of the other mothers were saying I think they get to go to the prize cabinet once a week (therapy occurs twice a week). I am thinking that I will ask them not to give him any more toys. I personally believe it is ok to ask him to do a little work without the tactile reward. We'll see....

1 comment:

Ann in NJ said...

Not all kids need rewards,and I think you're right to ask them to motivate him in other ways first. And be glad they didn't give him candy!