Saturday, July 12, 2008

They just don't make'm like the used to...

We ended up doing "movie night" tonight rather than Friday night. I won't make you try and guess this movie because it is so old that it is unrated. We watched the first half of "The Great Race" with all sorts of famous actors in it (Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood...to name a couple). I got this movie because I remember watching it from when I was probably elementary school age (my dad liked it) and I thought with the whole car and race connection and the comedy part of it that it might just hold my 3 year old boys' attention....and it has! We only watched the first half because the whole thing is 2 hours and 40 minutes, but since it is an older and longer movie it actually has an intermission which made a nice stopping point to put the kids to bed. It has just enough outrageous slap-stick comedy to keep the boys interested...and other funny things that Jim and I get. Josie watched some but then she started wandering and dancing when there was music on and then she was being really coy with me and sitting down next to me and making "small talk" in the form of noises but she did watch occasionally.
They just don't make many (if any) movies like that anymore...where it is funny for the whole family.

2 comments:

Jill in MA said...

I think I remember that movie! So there's nothing scary in it for the little ones? (Keep in mind, mine are afraid of the original Peter Pan animated movie.)

Susan Z said...

The "villian" is played by Jack Lemmon who tries to do mean things but they always back-fire on him (he and Peter Falk are most of the slap-stick comedy in the movie). There is a bar-room brawl and a scene with pie and cake throwing...a little bit of fencing and that is it. Mine didn't even rach a state of being concerned until the second half when there was a scene with "too much talking" and they wanted them to get back to the race...in fact we watched it a second time today upon request and both boys were still into it.