Monday, December 3, 2007

You might be a redneck...


Now that we have a house, I am finally getting around to showing our set-up in the trailer.
This is a picture of our trailer. It is a 31 foot Dutchman trailer (2005) with the bunkhouse and one slide out (on the other side). The black you can see is where Jim taped a bag over Andy's window to help keep out some of the cold when we had some nights down around and below freezing. You can see our full size deep freezer plugged in outside the trailer. We didn't have anywhere else to put it and since there was still stuff in it putting it outside the trailer seemed like the most sensible thing. It is a little difficult to see but we also have a BBQ and a full set of lawn furniture outside the trailer. The storage units were packed so that was the solution we came up with. Fortunately our fridge sold with our house so we don't have that sitting outside the trailer also.
It really hasn't been too bad being in the trailer for so long (4 months and counting). My children are small so that helps. We have been through some temperature extremes (a couple weeks of temperatures over 100 and now we are getting down to around freezing some nights). We have adapted in lots of ways to the tight space. There actually is a remarkable amount of storage in the trailer, but the catch is that you can't take something out and leave it out because you need that space for something else.
The hardest part for me has been going to the laundry mat with two two year olds. I am looking forward to doing laundry whenever I want to and without having to chase anyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aint no dog by the steps

Susan Z said...

Well...no dog here as much as we would like to have one. The cat's are at my in-laws since I just couldn't quite imagine having multiple indoor cats (which ours are) in an RV and having two year olds with a cat box around. Bless my in-laws because this is the second time they have kept Perdido for an extended time.

Jen said...

Oh my goodness. You are a saint. An RV is in our big dream plans for when we hit the lotto, but I couldn't take temps over 90 without AC. And I am a slob so the putting things away thing would be an issue. I am so impressed! I am trying to read back to figure out your house situation. I think you're awesome for going the RV route rather than getting locked into a lease or blowing money on some month-to-month thing.