Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Free Time

I think free time is one of those myths that they tell about in fairy tales...you know the ones that start "Once upon a time there was a mother who had time to clean her house, and decide to fold the clothes, etc." I'm not even talking about the "free time" where I might get to choose a fun activity for me...I'm talking about the free time where I might get to choose to mop the kitchen or vacuum the den.
I had the illusion that I might have some free time this morning. It all began yesterday when my baby-sitter, Ben, said that he was going to take the kids swimming at his apartment because his sister was done with her finals until Friday. He was going to pick up the kids early for a Wednesday (3 whole hours early) so that they had time to get wet and have fun and then be back for lunch and naps.
I stayed up waaayyyy to late finishing my stats final and fell asleep pondering my many options for what to do with that childless, homework free time that was coming. I could mop the kitchen. I could clean up the toy room. I could wrap birthday presents or run a few errands. How in the world was I going to decide what I was going to do?
In the morning it was decided for me.
When I went to bed I had placed my glasses on the dresser.
When I woke up this morning my glasses were on the floor in two pieces.
I have had familiarity with the occasional screw falling out on a pair of glasses, but this was a bit more serious. The entire arm...just after the screw...was broken off on the left side of my glasses.
I also happened to notice a small child had joined us during the night. I was so tired I don't know exactly when we gained a third inhabitant in my bed.
As close as I can figure Andy must have been thirsty when he came to climb in bed with us. My guess is that he got a drink of water out of the glass on my dresser and in the process knocked off my glasses. Then he probably tried to pick up the glasses and perhaps was standing on the arm? I don't know. I can't imagine how else you might break some glasses in the same way.
.
.
So my morning was spent going to the eye doctor. Since we have moved I couldn't just go back to the place and order a new arm. Of course even though I was sure that my prescription had not changed much (it hadn't) they couldn't just read the prescription on my glasses and make new ones. I had to do the whole vision check and picking out glasses and such. And of course the place I went it will take 5-7 days for the glasses to come in. Now I just need to decide which is less annoying...constantly adjusting glasses that are only being held on by one arm...or constantly seeing a wad of tape in my peripheral vision.

No comments: