Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Just because you can doesn't mean that you should....

I have spent the entire day working on getting letters out to 200 children who will attend a summer camp run by one of the professors I work for....and I don't know that I am getting any extra compensation for this overtime.....
So here is a story from yesterday (since I was only able to vaguely pay attention to my children today).
One of the items the boys got for their birthday was the Fisher Price Digital Camera approved for 3+. Our baby-sitter, Ben, gave it to them. It really is pretty neat because it has a lot of memory, rubber around all corners and edges, and minimal buttons (on/off, scroll forward or back, delete, and the one to take a picture). It uses AA batteries, a screen at the back, or you can look through the "eye" parts that are like binoculars. I haven't had a chance to actually look at the pictures the boys have taken so far...although I am reasonably sure there are several pictures of the floor.
Well, after they opened it Ben said something about how you could throw it down the steps and it wasn't supposed to hurt the camera.
Yesterday morning before breakfast, Andy picked up the camera, opened the door to the basement, and while I watched in horror he lobbed the camera down the steps.
Mommy: Andy! Why did you do that!
Andy: Ben said I could.

So now we are working on the concept of "even if you could it doesn't mean that you should."

2 comments:

Peter L. said...

Did the camera survive?

Andy may have a future at Consumer Reports testing product hype.

Susan Z said...

The camera was fine. Upon further investigation it actually takes 4 AAA batteries and despite a few pictures of the floor there are actually some good pictures on there that the boys have taken. In fact there was one Doug took of a cat that Jim asked me if I had taken it.