Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fig Pie

I have been searching for recipes to do with our fresh figs from the backyard. Not wanting to spend hot hours in the kitchen making jam, preserves, or pickled figs we have been freezing the figs in a single layer on a cookie sheet and then bagging them. At the moment we have more than 120 pounds in the freezer.

We have been eating some fresh figs and sharing some. I also have been looking for recipes. The big catch on recipes is that so many ask for dried figs. However, I have found some recipes and I decided to make a fig pie.
I'll be the first to admit that I am a lazy cook, so I did not want a recipe that required me to much to the figs ahead of time (which is also the draw back to making many cookies because you have to have already made jam with the figs). I did not peel the figs like it said to, but instead just quartered the figs. The recipe I used can be found at Fresh Fig Pie.

It made a great breakfast.

3 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

I supppose letting the figs rot or cutting down part of the bush is out of the question?

An advantage of freezing them is that they should cook very well and soften quickly. But that's a LOT of figs!

Jill in MA said...

Are there any soup kitchens around you that might take them as donations? That really is a lot of figs!

Susan Z said...

We haven't picked in a few days so some have gone to the birds and there is a groundhog who visits our yard to eat figs. We haven't looked in to the soup kitchen but we have thought about it. The plan is when there are no longer really any figs on the tree to severely cut it back. It is really a small grove instead of a "tree" and hopefully next year it will produce larger figs if it has fewer branches to support.