Saturday, July 11, 2009

Like Glue

Andy is my child who is a little too capable for his own good. So, when I got home on Friday I found out that Andy had been discovered standing on the sink in their bathroom during quiet time.
Later I called him inside and he went back outside and I caught him turning off the water. He admitted that he knew he was not supposed to be messing with the water outside.

So, after having a long talk with him it boiled down to the idea that for a few days he is not allowed to be without a responsible adult to help him make decisions. Additionally, the adult gets to choose what they are doing and Andy does not.

It is really putting a crimp in his style. This afternoon he was obviously feeling the affect of a lack of freedom on his part. We had a talk about him asking himself "Would mommy let me do this?
or "Would daddy let me do this?"

I'm hoping this helps him think a little bit more before he acts. I realize that he is only four, and I fully expect him to want to do things like rock climb, sky dive, etc. when he is a teenager...but I also don't want him to be that child who slams his car into a tree and kills himself because he didn't think about consequences.

No comments: