Tuesday, July 14, 2009

State of the House

How are we doing?
That is a complicated question.

Josie- doing well. Sort of working on potty training. She is going great guns as far as vocabulary, physical ability, etc.


Andy- testing the limits and almost too capable for his own good. I think he is ready for preschool to start again and we still have a month before it is time. He is scheduled to have the oral surgery next week so we have started talking about that a little bit.

Doug- is also missing not having preschool. Also testing the limits but not quite as much as Andy is. He is also the least likely to nap so I figure we need to work towards an earlier bedtime and just plan on not napping.

Jim- I don't think I mentioned it before, but he is looking for a job. He is trying hard to avoid Title I middle schools because he has definitely served his time. He is getting a lot of "kid" time this summer and doing a lot around the house. He has started picking figs in the backyard so if you want figs, let us know.

Me- up to my eyeballs in things to get done. I have some reading intensive courses on top of paper writing, on top of teaching a class and helping with orientation advising. I am not quite sure how I will get it all done, but hopefully I will get it all done. Of course what I really want to be doing it other things, but all in due course. I'm really hoping that not too many things spill over from the summer into the fall so that I can have a pretty clean slate in the Fall. Right now I am signed up for one Stats course and an independent study so it is a lighter load than I had before. I should also be taking comps in the Fall so perhaps I am at least getting closer to the light at the end of the "coursework" tunnel and can possibly see the "dissertation" tunnel in the distance.

2 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

Thanks for the update! Wish Jim well on the job search - I can't imagine teaching 8th grade math, let alone in a Title 1 school, so I can understand his feelings. Hang in there - remember the more you can get done NOW, the less there is to do later (still working on this concept, myself).

Susan Z said...

I went to class right after I wrote this post and realized that I am done with the reading portion of the class. So I sort of feel better in that I have only one class I am reading for and all the rest are down to paper writing. My writing issue lately is in the trying to take my writing to the next academic level. It seems a different world and I am still working on the vocabulary, syntax, etc.