Thursday, July 16, 2009

What to eat....

So we have lived in the town we are in for almost two years now. This means that we have tried a number of restaurants in town.
I'll admit that Jim can be pretty discerning sometimes because he doesn't want to eat something he can fix better at home. The interesting part is that we have found 4 or 5 restaurants so far that people have recommended or that seemed pretty popular judging by the parking lot but when we ate at them the were alright to not so great. One or two we might go back to so that we can try other things, but they definitely did not fall in the fabulous category...or even the great category judging by the meal we had.

I always wonder if we are just not ordering the right things. I'm also wondering if, despite being in a fairly diverse college town, many people might just like to eat copious amounts of cheap food and perhaps that is how they judge a restaurant.

I think I need to learn to look at the specials and remember to ask what their most popular dishes are.

2 comments:

Jill in MA said...

I'm always pretty shocked at what the general public likes and what people recommend. I think most people have pretty mediocre taste. Go ahead and try more dishes, but I'm willing to bet they won't be much better.

Lisa C said...

I agree with Jill. We've had dishes/places recommended by people and been really unimpressed. Of course one of our neighbors did call us "foodies" because of our always looking for a better meal to cook/eat, etc.