Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Being drug into the 21st century

As I mentioned earlier...I feel as if I am being firmly dragged into the 21st Century. It is not that I am a hold-out for an earlier time, but I'm busy and sometimes things pass me by.
  • My sister gave me her old iPod. I'm still figuring out how to use all of the features, how to manage podcasts, how to keep up with charging it and when listening to it works best for me, etc.
  • My (same) sister gave me a webcam for Christmas. I did get it loaded and working. The kids are fascinated by it and Josie keeps asking for Grandma when she sees it because we talked to Grandma on it once.
  • I think the VCR is dead. Most likely Josie stuffed too many DVDs into it over the course of several months. I haven't pulled it off the shelf to look at it in any detail, but I can hit the power button and it comes on for about ten seconds and then turns itself off. I am torn between buying a new one because we have an awful lot of video cassettes and some of the boys' favorite movies are on cassettes, and chucking it so that I can unload all of the videos we have and make my life a little simpler since kids won't be pulling them off the shelf anymore.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I will weigh in on the vcr issue... i recommend getting a very cheap replacement. tapes are awesome because you can pop them in and leave -- you don't have to wait around for the previews and warnings and stuff to get to the menu and press play.

ditch the tapes once the kids are older and you are less busy!

Susan Z said...

I'll have to think about that. Right now at least Doug & Andy can pretty much work the DVD player except for putting the TV on the correct input. They know that play is "the big button in the middle" and they know how to take DVDs in and out (which sometimes results in making your brother mad because you take out his video).

Lisa C said...

You are welcome for dragging you into the 21st century. As long as it's not kicking and screaming!

As for the VCR, your call on that one and how useful it is. You might be able to find one that isn't too expensive. Ours is still plugging along but is pretty old. Helps we don't have the little hands yet to want to work it themselves.