Friday, January 23, 2009

The other side of psychology development

The other side of the story about knowing a little bit of developmental psychology is that you also get that "uh oh, we just hit a new stage" feeling every so often.

Josie more than has the idea of object permanence (that things don't go away when they are hidden from view). She went with me to my dental appointment yesterday. They gave her a toothbrush which she proceeded to get out of the package when we got home. I took it away from her (carpet fibers in the toothbrush...just not my cup of tea) and she went to my bathroom, found my toiletry kit in a cupboard, took everything out until she found HER toothbrush holder (which she did get the right one) and got her travel brush out.

Andy displayed logic last night I hadn't really seen before. We were a bit late getting the kids to bed so Jim said that we could read exactly one book. Andy proceeded to pick up the children's Bible and I could hear him say something about it being "the biggest book".
Then today Andy went solo to preschool because Doug was running a fever. When we went through the car rider line to pick him up, his teacher came out before Andy was brought and told me that Andy had gotten in trouble for stomping on crackers during snack time. Then she brought Andy to the car. When he got in I asked him if he got in trouble for stomping on crackers. His teacher and I both laughed because the first thing out of his mouth was "Who told?"

No comments: