Monday, January 12, 2009

Meme

I recently had to look up what a "meme" was because I had seen it on some blogs and as much as I like to think that I am sort of "with it" as far as technology I know that I am really a bit behind. So it rhymes with "theme" and it is like a small unit of culture that gets passed around (this is a really loose definition). So...when you get one of those things that you take a test or answer survey questions and send it on to someone else that is a meme.

So I nominate anyone who is looking for something to post to do this meme that I am creating. If you do not have a blog and still want to answer the question you can post your thoughts in the comments section. This is actually something I have been thinking about for awhile.

I had two summers where I worked with a woman who was very busy and sort of ADHD before so many people started being diagnosed with it. She kept talking about plate twirlers. You know the person in the circus who has sticks with twirling plates and the point is to keep up as many plates as possible? Well, for her she would compare everything she had to do to plate twirling and trying to keep it together, but occasionally a plate would fall and break.

My question is:
What metaphor or simile fits your life ?
For me, at this point in my life, it is like someone trying to move an extremely large boulder. I push and shove and I might be making progress but it is really hard to tell that progress is being made. Some days I wish for a hammer so that I could break the boulder into a pile of rubble and move it in smaller pieces, but frankly I don't have a hammer. I do have faith that at some point I'll get the boulder rolling and actually be able see the progress being made...but today is not that day so I just keep pushing.

1 comment:

Jill in MA said...

Great question! I need some time to mull this over. I'm not sure my brain works well enough any more to come up with something, but I'll try!