Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Playing 20 (million) questions

Ok, you know that stereotypical thing about the little kid who always asks "why?"
.
.
Well...I have THAT child. I suppose at least I don't have two of those children because at least Doug is the strong silent type (except when he is wigging out because his anal retentive perfectionistic tendencies are coming through...but we're trying to deal with that and yes those things can already shine through in a three year old).
Anyway, I am beginning to think that "why" is the most powerful word in the English language. There is just no end to it. Any answer can always have another "why" asked about it. Jim got Andy to stop by saying "because daddy said so" but apparently me saying "because I said so" just didn't have the same effect.
I am headed to a conference today and tomorrow so I am sort of looking forward to the break-ish feel of being away from the kids a bit (it's not an overnight thing).
I think I might start tallying Andy's questions. I just have to decide if I should tally ALL of the questions (he usually starts out with multiple word sentences and then eventually gets to the single word "why" questions) or if I should just tally the "why"s for my own sanity.

1 comment:

Ann in NJ said...

I have one of those kids - actually, they all went through it to some degree, but William really went to town. We've now graduated to "what if..." and let me tell you, those are some wild flights of fancy there.

Think of it as a sign of an active and healthy imagination.