Tuesday, February 19, 2008

4 outta 5

So 4 out of 5 isn't bad unless you are talking about the number of people now on antibiotics at your house (or my house in this case).
Jo got her bottle of Augmentin on Friday after having a high white blood cell count and moderate ear infections. They did give her a jump start by doing the Rocephrine shot so she is already obviously feeling much better.
Jim's throat was scratchy and he was running a slight temperature yesterday so he went to the doctor this morning. We knew strep had been going around town and Jim seems susceptible to it, so the doc did a throat swab and low and behold he has strep. Therefore he got his own bottle of Augmentin and the jump start with a couple of shots.
Andy and Doug had low grade fevers over the weekend. They have been acting pretty normal, but simultaneously managed to run around and get over heated and throw up together yesterday evening. So this morning we took them to the doctor also. Throats looked good, chests sounded clear, but three out of four ears have moderate infections (with the one that is clear being Doug's ear that still has the ear tube in it after a year and a half...it's wobbly but holding its own). So they were prescribed amoxicillin.
The pediatrician seemed to think I would be ok (her words...Mom's are usually immune to these things). So I will just keep an eye on it. I felt like I was starting to get another cold last Thursday but I am already starting to feel better so hopefully the trend will continue.
Ironically, one of the grocery store chains is giving a free, up to 14 day supply if you are prescribed certain antibiotics. When I first had some antibiotics back in January I had forgotten about the grocery store deal and actually had to pay more than normal because I made the mistake of giving them the insurance card with the worse prescription plan. Then I remembered the grocery store so I took my prescription there but of course my antibiotic wasn't on it that time. I took Jo's to the grocery store and even though one of the antibiotics on the list is a major component in the Augmentin she is taking her's wasn't free (but thank goodness for generics). Jim's prescription wasn't on the list either. But finally! Both Doug and Andy's antibiotic prescription is on the grocery store free list. Woohoo!

2 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

Vitamin C! Right now! Take more! And get more sleep! (Yeah, right)
Good luck with your household of illness - hopefully the antibiotics will knock everything out and the dr. is right that you won't get it. Just tell the germs you don't have TIME to get sick!

Andrea said...

Mom's are immune? Nobody told me! I think Molly morphs a little sniffle into the full-blown plague before she hands it off to me. She say, "coff coff, I think I'm a little sick," and then I miss three days of work! Maybe it's because I'm not her biological mom... :)