Monday, June 30, 2008

Mommy Training

We are pushing the potty training...doing everything that I hope will work. I am realizing just how much of this is about training me. The boys are not real thrilled about sitting on the potty but we have reward stickers and Nana got little toys they are only allowed to play with when they are actually on the potty and we are running around in either training pants or the cool alert pull-ups. The pediatrician said to work on it this summer (and summer is rapidly passing) and I don't actually remember if there is a policy or anything at the preschool we will be at next year. I just feel like with two of them I am spending all of my in the bathroom. I do have to remind myself however that we really are only on like day 2 of genuine trying.

3 comments:

Jill in MA said...

I suggest finding out the policy of the preschool. (If they say in writing that they be trained, talk to the director to see how much they're willing to bend -- sometimes they just say that to get more kids trained.) Do this just so you can eliminate your own stress. Potty training is stressful enough without adding a deadline into the mix. If you feel like you must succeed, then your kids will clue in to this and realize they have some control. Chances are that you will get them trained without a problem, but there are cases where kids just do not want to be potty trained (like in our case) and there's really not a whole lot you can do about it. It's an aspect of their lives that they really CAN control, and for some kids, they really want to find things that they can control.

Jennifer said...

hey i know that feeling. :) of being in the bathroom all the time that is. :) lol

it does get easier. Lauren and Brooke will be 3 October 6th, and they are both in undies 24/7. we gave up the pull-ups b/c they were just so dependant on them they were mostly going to the bathroom in them and not even trying. I took them away and viola, they are fully potty trained. I don't even do a diaper at night... b/c I don't want to get them in the habbit of going at night, unless on the potty. we have had a bunch of accidents day and night but it has been since Father's day... they were ready a while ago but I was lazy... er... I mean busy. lol
it is a LOT of work to potty train twins... but soooo worth it when it is all said and done with. :)

Best wishes!! It will happen before you know it.

xoxoxo

Ann in NJ said...

Yes, remember this too shall pass. It's a lot easier in the summertime without the stress of getting everyone where they need to go on time. Despite the "deadline" of school starting, most preschools are accustomed to kids who are just barely potty trained. You will probably be asked to pack a full change of clothes anyway. And while it seems like you live in the bathroom now, and you'll know where EVERY public or semi-public bathroom is in the places you go, it will be over soon enough. Just don't cave if you're making progress.