Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pacifiers

I love 'em...I hate them....
When Doug and Andy were born they spent a few days in the NICU. There, they were automatically given pacifiers and bottles regardless of the fact that they were only a week early, they were good size, and it specifically said that I was going to breastfeed. At the time I was unhappy that they had been given the pacifier so early, but it worked out in the end because they did just fine. Shortly after that they came out with the research about pacifier use causing babies to sleep lighter and therefore be less likely to fall prey to SIDS. When they were about 15 months we started weaning them off day time use of the pacifiers. At the time they had already bit through several of their pacifiers. Then when they were about 19 months they both got colds with stuffy noses. They couldn't breath and suck on a pacifier at the same time. So we picked up the few remaining pacifiers and just never toook them out again.

Josie...where do I begin.
She was in the well-baby nursery. I actually asked them for a pacifier while we were still in the hospital because I realized that she was using me as one.
When she was an infant she did not seem terribly attached to the pacifier. Now that she is older she seems much more attached then the boys ever did. She has only had one or maybe two pacifiers that we've had to throw away. We have tried weaning her off daytime use but she asks for one and she definitely loves them during nap or sleep times. She has had colds, but has always managed to still be able to manage the pacifier.
I've tried talking her into leaving them for Santa, sending them to her aunt who is having a baby soon for Valentine's day, and perhaps leaving them for the Easter Bunny...but she says no.
I know that she is not quite two and at least our current pediatrician has not said anything about it. Our old dentist said that we didn't need to worry about teeth because only strong tongue thrust and finger sucking would make a difference. Still I'll be most interested to see how we finally break her of the habit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

tabasco on all the pacifiers