Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Potty Training Update

So where are we at? We're there.
Here are all of the things we tried:
Sitting on the potty, cheering as we flush, stickers, check marks small toys you can only play with while sitting on the potty, telling stories while we sat, singing songs while we sat, potty chair, potty seat, no potty seat, diapers, pull-ups, cloth training pants, running around naked outside, running around naked inside, drinking lots of liquids, outright bribery,....I'm sure there is something that I am missing.
What finally worked?
Wearing regular underwear and getting mean. Yep...the consequences of having an accident included having to clean up after yourself.
We endured about two weeks of off and on accidents and now we are there.
I'm thrilled!
I'm so thrilled that with just Josie in diapers (and hopefully not for much longer...we'll work on her this Spring as we get closer to two) I even got rid of the diaper pail. I'm also thrilled because it pretty much happened that not only did we obtain success during the times we are up, but we also stay dry during nap time and night time.
Potty training was one of my New Year's goal so that is one checked off.

2 comments:

Jill in MA said...

Yippee! Getting mean was what got us over the final hump with Owen, too. I love "cheering as we flush"! We like to cheer that the poop is going to the poopy party!

Ann in NJ said...

Kids will push your limits as far as they can - sometimes you have to let them know that you are serious. I worry that our society has gone overboard with permisiveness, and that "getting mean" with our kids is forbidden. I think you can "get mean" without emotional or psychological abuse, and sometimes it's just a matter of letting them know that we're serious.