Friday, March 6, 2009

Red balloon

As I was walking to my car after teaching class yesterday I saw a red balloon. I park at our church and I could see the balloon floating in the sky up above and behind the roof of the church. The balloon was a shiny red heart.
It sort of swirled around lazily a few times; catching the sun as it did. Then it slowly started to drift higher and travel a farther distance. The sky was clear except for the balloon and a subtle half moon.
It was very beautiful and graceful to see and caused me some reflection. At first I was thinking about how free the balloon was. There was nothing to tie it down. It could flit and float high up in the sky.
However, I then realized that the balloon wasn't really all that free. Yes, it wasn't tied down but it was at the mercy of the breeze. It would go different ways depending on how high or low it was, what the currents were, and eventually it would lose gas and be caught. I realized that a balloon tied to a wrist could still float and swirl, but was taken different directions with a purpose.
Perhaps it was because I saw the balloon above the church, but it felt like a metaphor for life. We can flit and float thinking that we are in charge... but we are really at the mercy of the wind, and eventually something will bring us down to earth. If we are tied to God then we still have some freedom, but our journey is with purpose and God takes us where he wants us to go. Eventually something may bring us down to earth, but we are still with God and we will not get caught up or run over when we come down.

No comments: