Saturday, April 26, 2008

End of an era...

I was going to try to make it to one year, but Jo is officially weaned. The boys nursed until a week after their first birthday and then I couldn't keep them attached and that was the end of it. With Jo it is earlier because she is busier trying to keep up with her older brothers. With the boys the last nursing we got rid of was the one we would do when I would pick them up after work. But that one turned out to be more about connecting with me because as soon as we hit summer and I was no longer working they didn't need that reconnection. I have to admit that I did the "bad mommy" thing with the current food recommendations and introduced Jo to milk early....but she was already eating yogurt, ice cream, and cheese with no problem. As soon as Jo started drinking milk she started sleeping through the night more regularly.

It has opened up a new world for me...one that I haven't thought about for awhile. I had nine months of pregnancy with the boys, then one year of breastfeeding, three months of freedom, and then I discovered that I was pregnant with Jo so another nine months of pregnancy and almost a year of breastfeeding. Suddenly I have the possibility of getting sloshed if I wanted to (though that is not really in my personality). I can take serious medicines if I get sick. I can drink multiple caffeine loaded drinks if I want to without thinking. I can finally remove the tattoos from my breasts that say "on loan."

2 comments:

Jill in MA said...

I hear ya! I was SO glad to be done (I got pregnant like the minute I stopped nursing Owen, so I didn't even get that break), but I also miss it. That connection with the kids is so special.

ooolia said...

Ya did good! Nursing is exhausting, and hard work. I'm relieved to be done, too.