Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Night Visitors




Last night Doug was having trouble falling asleep. I had him hanging out on the bed while I brushed my teeth when suddenly Jim called us to the den. It seems that the reason that the bird seed was tipped over and had a hole ripped in the bag was because we have a raccoon. The raccoon was lounging on the railing. He sauntered over and was trying to help himself out of the bird feeder hanging off the corner of the deck. He was not scared of the light being on the deck (though I did turn off my flash so it would reflect in the glass). He obviously got very close the the door and you can see Hogan's, one of our cats, head in the corner of one of the pictures. I could see him reaching his paw in around the cup I had used to scoop the bird seed out of the bag. He hung around for a long time. So this morning I found an old ice cream bucket for the bird seed so I will be interested to see if that deters him...he did not seem afraid at all.
Then tonight as we were closing things up for bed Jim spotted a swallow-tail moth on the screen. He was about as big as my hand and wasn't scared off when my camera flashed.

1 comment:

Ann in NJ said...

You might need something heavier (or metal) with a secure lid to keep him out. they can chew through pretty thick plastic.

We have raccoons, and yes, they are brazen. You've got to go yell at them or throw something - light won't do it.

And that's a HUGE moth!