Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Average Morning

I was thinking as I was driving to campus this morning that...
On the average morning I put gel in my hair, scrunch it around, and then don't look at it again until it is too late to do any fixing if it turns out horrible.
On the average morning I get into the car and realize that I have not even bothered to put a brush to either boys' hair and they get to go with the "bed head" look (Jo doesn't have enough hair yet).
On the average morning if I am lucky I only get to watch half of the Clifford show because I am only running 15 minutes late from where I think I should be...if it is worse I get to see part of Super Why.
On the average morning my children eat breakfast while we are riding in the car (Thank God for poptarts, sausage on a stick, granola bars, and even crackers for breakfast).
On the average morning if I am lucky the boys are cooperative about getting into their clothes because they are distracted by the TV...some mornings Andy chooses to wear PJ's to the babysitters.
On the average morning if I am lucky the cup of coffee Jim has fixed for me has only sat on the counter untouched for one hour, or the coffee is still in the coffee maker that made the coffee long enough ago that the coffee maker has turned off (for those non-coffee drinkers that is a long time).
On the average morning if I am lucky we can make it into the car in just under 10 minutes instead of 15 or greater.
On the average morning when I start driving I will have only had a cup of orange juice and won't eat actual breakfast until I make it to work.
On the other hand....
On the average morning I have gotten a couple minutes of cuddle time with each boy and two big hugs before we go out the door.
On the average morning my fabulous husband has already loaded most of the stuff in the car and has almost everything else waiting to go out the door.
On the average morning I have seen three (or 4 if you count Jim's) bright smiles with looks of delight just for seeing me in the morning.
On the average morning I have gotten to enjoy listening to at least one song composed by a two year old as we drive down the street.
On the average morning I have gotten to hear laughter and hear at least one "oh wow" or "cool" (usually said "tool") comment either about something on TV or about what we are having for breakfast.
As Jim would say "we are stressed but blessed." Motherhood is one of the hardest jobs I have ever done. It changes your life so much. It is so difficult to balance work and family, make decisions about when to be lenient and when to be tough, and to realize that you can influence your child but that from day one he or she is his or her own little person with definite opinions and ideas about what he or she wants to do.
I one time heard a quote that being a parent was like ripping your heart out of your body and letting it walk around. I completely understand this quote. I have to trust that I am doing the right things with my children and that they will turn out to be kind and caring individuals who make a contribution to the world.

2 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

Yes, children are chaos and wonder, all in one package. Soon enough you will have surly grumpy teens (or pre-teens, in my case) groaning about school, so enjoy Clifford while you can.

Jennifer said...

Hi.
I love this post! The average morning is far from average when you are blessed with children. ;o) It makes me think I should do a post like this so that I don't forget the way things are now. I swear in the blink of an eye time is just flying past me.
You are right that being a mother is the hardest job! And, it is also like taking your heart out and letting it walk around, I heard that before too! Thank God, we get to experience this wonderful thing!!
Jenn
(from the twinslist (o: )
PS is it okay if I link you to my blog??