Thursday, November 1, 2007

Full Circle

So lately I have had this feeling that my life has come "full circle" in many ways.

One large circle is that I am a twin and I am now the mother of twins. It is really cool for me to see Doug and Andy interact. They are similar to my sister and I because they can be the best of friends and then sometimes I see them doing things to purposely aggravate each other. Even at age two they know what "buttons" to push. Being a twin is fun, but now I have the utmost respect for parents of twins (and a little bit of awe for those at there that parent even greater numbers of multiples). I take my hat off to my parents for surviving the early years with Lisa and me.

Another circle is my school/career life. When Jim and I were first married I drove to the University to be a graduate assistant and to take classes toward a graduate degree (at that time a Masters degree). We lived in a small living space (on campus apartments) with a small oven and no dish washer. We had to do laundry at the laundry mat , money was tight, and I had to balance homework and family life. I also worked as a graduate assistant for a professor by finding articles and I did a little bit of work at analyzing perservice teacher's mind webbing (or mapping) of developing ideas about teaching.

So right now I am still driving to the same University to be a graduate assistant in the same building. The degree I am working on is now a doctorate PhD in a different area of education than before. I live in an even smaller living space with a small oven, no dish washer, and I have to go to the laundry mat with 2 two year olds. Money is tight, I have an even harder time balancing homework and family life. I work for 2 professors finding articles and doing other things to support their research and articles, and just yesterday I found out that I might be analyzing mind mapping of teachers working on gifted education certification.

Life can be very strange at times...

2 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

Better "full circle" than "making no progress". :)
Seriously, you've made choices that improve your quality of life in the long run - you just have to get through the tough stuff in the middle. There are pros and cons to living in a smaller space - you mentioned a pro just the other day. And while the accident was unfortunate (Jim, glad you're not hurt more!), you were probably close to replacing that car anyway, and the timing actually worked out fairly well.
It all falls in the "could be worse" category.

Andrea said...

Hey guys! I'm finally getting a chance to read your blog!! So I'm catching up...

Isn't it amazing how much more you can handle if you need to? It's also comforting to know that, as you go through life, you really do gain from your experiences, and suddenly you find yourself managing things that you would never have thought possible in the past.