Sunday, November 11, 2007

"My baby"

Andy has adopted one of those soft little "baby's first doll" dolls. It was originally intended for Jo but she only gets to see it occasionally because Andy usually is too busy mothering it. We will pretend change her diaper, he has been known to get baby spoons out of the drawer to feed her, he puts her down for naps (complete with all the directions we give...stay in bed, be quiet, etc.), and he carries her around in general and talks about her as his. At one point he named her Boo but I don't know if he remembers this.
Anyway, kids really model behavior after what they see. He will occasionally hold her up to his shoulder and say "Mys baby drinking." Yes he has seen mom nurse Jo many times. I am just thankful that he doesn't lift his shirt to do it.
Well, tonight I am beginning to wonder if I have scarred the child for life. Jim and I were sitting at the table and Andy and Doug were playing. Andy walks past me with a piece of the breast pump held up to his chest and comments "pump" and then says "baby."

1 comment:

Ann in NJ said...

Either scarred them for life or introduced nursing as a completely natural and expected concept - like it used to be before the advent of bottles and formula.