Wednesday, November 14, 2007

House Update IV

Ok, can I officially call this an epic now?
So we got an estimate from a handyman about doing all of the repairs. It is 12 times the amount they wanted to budget. However, unbelievably they have agreed to bring a check for the handyman when they come to closing.
So Jim pointed out that fixing all of those things is just like putting a band aid over a wound if it doesn't fix any worry about if there is water under the driveway that might cause shifting of the house. So he went up and looked at the driveway. He talked to the neighbor on the driveway side and found out that a) the neighbor has been there since 2000 and has done some maintenance on the house and yard as the couple became unable to do it for themselves, and b) the neighbor has had no problems since he has been there. That is reassuring to me. So Jim is in the process of getting an estimate from a company to fix the potential driveway/water issue. If it is a reasonable amount for us to pay then we will order the appraisal and see when we can close. I will feel comfortable with that. I just would like to be able to get everything out of storage before Christmas because I would really like to be in a house before then. I don't know how we will work the whole getting everything fixed versus when we would actually move in, but we will just have to see how it all works out. I can't believe how this month is flying by.

2 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

I don't know whether to hope you get this house or not! The only thing I can add is that we've had water issues with this house, and most water problems can be solved by improving grading and drainage, which is not so bad. So I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, since I know you're ready to be "home".

Lisa C said...

Having done our own trenching and regrading in the back yard this summer, it wasn't as bad as we thought. Not fun still, but I agree with Ann. I don't know if I should hope you get the house or not either. =D