Thursday, January 10, 2008

Reminders

Every so often I feel like I get this nudge that reminds me about something...it might be something that I really need to remember or it might be something that gives me perspective on how far I have come.
Last Fall I was looking up an education research article for one of the profs I work for and suddenly came across a Math article written by someone I graduated college with. It turns out that she had gotten a doctorate, had gotten married (I'm not sure on the order), had a daughter, and is working at a small university on the East coast. It took me back to my undergraduate days and made me remember things that I hadn't thought about for a long time. Today I walked across campus to buy my textbooks for the new semester. I watched all the undergraduates and realized that even though I started as an undergraduate almost 15 years ago (wow!) that they were not that different then I was at the time. I was realizing how much I had changed since then.

Last night at choir we were singing a piece that had the phrase "peace that passes understanding" in it. That was my breath prayer back when I was thinking about having such a thing. It reminded me that I missed that and that I needed to keep that with me.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Was it Leah Berman? That's the only person I know of from college who got a doctorate, but I suppose there are probably more...

Susan Z said...

Yep, it is Leah. I just happened on her article and was like...wait a minute...I know her! It was a little freaky.