Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Accents

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland
 

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The West
 
The Inland North
 
Boston
 
North Central
 
The Northeast
 
The South
 
Philadelphia
 
What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

Like my sister, this is only sort of right for me. I actually grew up in Idaho but with parents from the Midwest.
I remember when I first moved to the South, my twin sister Lisa would talk to me on the telephone and give me a hard time about my vowels getting longer. The wierdest accent moment I have had was when I was interviewing with an assistant superintendent from a school district. I had a really good conversation with him for about 30 minutes, but then he stopped me and said "Hey, did you grow up in the west but with parents who are from the Midwest...like maybe Minnesota?"
Uh...yep. It turns out that he was a speech therapist before he went into administration. I felt like Eliza Doolittle.
I definitely still get the "you're not from around here" from people here in the South.

No comments: