Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Secret Addictions

So I grew up with a dad who was into watching car races...not a huge fan but he did record the big races on Sunday so he could watch them. I never sat down and watched one with him.

Fast forward about 20 years...Now I have my own son, who coincidental, goes by the same name my dad did and I wonder...is there something in a name?
My dad was really into trains (half+ of our basement was dedicated to model trains). Doug likes Thomas, but he actually really likes the videos that are of the real thing...or at least not animated shots.

My dad...science type guy. Doug's favorite video lately was called "The Big Boom" (volcanoes, sonic booms, blowing up buildings and the science behind them). Doug was really bummed when I had to return the video to the library.

My dad...liked planes enough to get his pilots licence. Doug likes planes also.

My dad...liked watching car races. Doug loves watching car races. I think his favorite is Monster Truck racing but he'll take anything on wheels going at high speeds. Did you know that they even race school buses?...on dirt tracks? ...on a figure-eight course? Imagine....

Anyway, so this has caused me to watch way more racing and speed stuff then I ever imagined. This has also introduced me to a TV show that I actually like to watch and recently added to our DVR list. It is called Pinks and the spin-off that I like even more is Pinks All Out.

I never would have guessed that I would be into it.

1 comment:

Ann in NJ said...

Dad would also watch anything with wheels going at high speeds. Or boats. I remember watching a "swamp buggy" race with him once. They were these modified 4x4truck/boat things that had to get through a pit of water/mud the fastest.
It must be the name. None of my kids are that into racing. Maybe William, but not so much.