Wednesday, March 5, 2008

cookies!

Yep, we made roll-out cookies again. The boys had spotted the tin with the cookie cutter alphabet letters sitting on the counter. So...
I started by finding a recipe. Currently I only have two cookbooks unpacked (and I haven't unpacked my recipe box yet...though I know which box it is reported to be in). I do have a big book of cookie recipes that I got for Christmas (which is what I used last time). I was sure that what I had in the fridge was margarine and last time when we made cookies they definitely would have been better with the butter the recipe called for. So I looked through the book and sure enough every one of the roll-out recipes called for butter. So I went online. I found a recipe that looked good and copied the ingredients.
So we started to make the cookies and sure enough...it was butter in the fridge...not margarine (although I was a little short so I used a bit of margarine also). The boys are getting pretty good about helping dump in ingredients...and they can tell you now that cookies take sugar, eggs, and flour. I started chilling the dough and decided to try and make a short cut by using the freezer instead of the fridge. When I started setting up to roll out the cookies I suddenly remembered that last time I had used a (mostly) straight sided glass because my rolling pin appears to have mold on it. (It was in a bottom box and might have gotten wet...I am debating about how to deal with this issue...) Of course the glass that I used last time was in the dish washer and I didn't even think about washing it until afterwards. So I ended up using my hands to push out the dough.
Then I got the dough out of the freezer and I will tell you...this is the stickiest dough I have ever dealt with. I ended up finishing up the cookies this morning and even over-night in the fridge this stuff was sticky. It could have been a bit aggravated by me using my hands, but I think it would have been sticky regardless.
I was originally going to make the letters of their names, but we ended up just doing the first letter of each child's name (although at some point when my back was turned...one of the boys cut out an N).
The cookies did taste good and were so tender, but good gracious...when they said "chill for 1-2 hours" they really mean stick in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
I think I might hide the cookie cutters for a little while...at least until I get MY recipes out and the rolling pin issue fixed.

2 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

You could try using a fine sandpaper on the rolling pin. Mine does not have a finish on it, or it might be just an oil finish, so sanding it would be ok. You want it to have a little "tooth" to hold flour.

Andrea said...

I hate to bleach anything if I don't have to, but you could also try a bleach solution. Maybe bleach and then sand? Or, heck, I see cheap rolling pins from time to time... :) Maybe better safe than sorry!