Thursday, March 13, 2008

Preschool

Well...I found a preschool that was one I thought looked good, have heard good things about it, still has two slots in the appropriate class for next year, is reasonably priced, reasonably close to home, etc. etc. etc.

The boys are officially enrolled...the only thing I didn't fill out on the application was the information about a local contact who can act as parent in the case of an emergency...gotta decide who and ask them but I wanted to get the form in so that we had our slots.

Now the interesting thing about filling out the form was that it had some personality/development questions on the back side. It was...ummmm....interesting to complete to say the least.
Jim felt that the questions were a load of bunk. (Well, he didn't use THAT exact word but what he did say isn't really meant for polite company).
I can sort of see why they ask them...me coming from gifted education and with a little background in early childhood. However, there is only one three year old class so it is not like they can separate children who throw temper tantrums, or separate children who are terribly shy or such. Also, even with my years of baby-sitting and early childhood certification and constantly looking up benchmarks and such I still felt like it was hard to decide "Do they talk well?" I think so...and I think they have a pretty good vocabulary, but I still have to interpret some things for other people and even I occasionally run into a word that I don't understand. Is Doug "domineering?" I don't think so...I think he is more "overwhelmingly friendly" when he meets a new child and he does differentiate between how he interacts with younger or similar age children versus how he interacts with older children. Do I think Andy is prone to "dare devil behavior" ...no but I think he is very confident of his skills and most of the time he is right about what he is capable of doing...we do tend to play on the big kid equipment because they get bored on the little kid stuff.
I try to expect a lot out of my kids and we get compliments all of the time when we are out, but my buttons are not the same as someone else so while I might be fine with Doug jumping in my lap suddenly someone else might find it alarming...I know he is just very enthusiastically showing affection and is not doing it in a mean way. I'm just feeling my way along as a parent and concentrating on the things I deem important.
So I filled out the paperwork to the best of my ability. I know the staff there is very experienced and that they have dealt with several sets of twins...my two, while so different and independent, are protective of each other so I just pray that their teacher next year will be as strong willed as they are.

2 comments:

Ann in NJ said...

I think it is the school's attempt to get to know the children as best they can before they start in the fall. I suppose it gives the teacher heads up on who to keep a close eye on, but they change so quickly at this age, and parents have such different expectations (as you noted), I can't imagine it helps a huge amount. I always struggled with those things, too. (my security word is "dnepad" - de knee pad?)

ooolia said...

I respect the school for wanting a sense of what each child is like, but some of the questions they ask seem absurd in my experience.

I agree w/ Ann that they change so quickly and parents are very different in their expectations. I've noticed that at our daycare.

Oh and congrats on finding a place for the boys that you'll be happy with. (my security word is "rzsykmu" - racey camel?)