Monday, August 4, 2008

Bumps and scraps and falling down the stairs

As far as I can figure Andy was trying to bring the new buckets we got for storing toys upstairs. These buckets (there are two) are large enough to actually hold one of the boys, and possibly two if they were really in a friendly mood. Well, as far as I can figure out Andy was trying to bring both of the buckets upstairs. According to him he made it almost to the top.
..
All I heard was a thump, thump, thump, (and maybe more thumps) waaaahhhhh.
..
Yep, Andy fell down the stairs.
...
He was getting up to get to me by the time I got to the bottom of the steps. No broken arms or legs. He said his head hurt so I checked to make sure his pupils looked ok and worked correctly. Then I noticed that there was a tiny bit of blood on my hand so I looked in his mouth and it appeared that he had bitten his tongue. So I gave him some motrin and an ice pack and was thankful there wasn't more.
..
Then, maybe 30 minutes later, we went to have lunch. He started to bit into a crosoint and said it hurt. So I looked at his teeth and thought...well, perhaps they are chipped. So I tried to compare them to Doug's teeth (handy to have a twin around for just such occassions) but Doug decided to be stubborn and wouldn't open his mouth. So I finally decided that Andy had chipped the corner off one tooth and chipped the top of another (it was concave rather than flat or convex).
..
So I called the dentist.
..
We ended up with an afternoon apointment to check them out. Of course right after I hung up I started kicking myself that I hadn't asked if there was anything I could do to desensitized them and of course all I got was a busy signal when I tried calling back about umpteen zillion times.
..
So what do you do for lunch for a child with sensitive teeth?
..
I couldn't convince him to try biting anything else. So he had grapes (you can stick them past the front teeth), and noodles (slurp those things right on by), and a chocolate milk shake (uh...I was thinking a straw would get it past the teeth and there was no biting but huge calories involved...I didn't really think about the cold sugar and if there had been exposed roots). He enjoyed lunch.
..
Jim came home and took him to the dentist (which apparently Andy and Jim both napped during the wait). The dentist said everything was fine, they were chipped but it wasn't a problem, that we did the right thing, and that unless Andy starts complaining in a few days that things should be ok.
..
phew!

No comments: