Monday, August 4, 2008

Princess Doug

This evening we went to the mall.
We almost never go to the mall, but Jim was looking for glasses because Josie broke his (snapped them right in half).
The kids were very excited to see the fountain at the mall because it is one of those that the water does different "choreographed" things. And of course the boys noticed all of the coins at the bottom of the fountain.
So I explained about making a wish and throwing in your penny, gave a few examples of what you might wish for (a new book, friends to come visit...I was trying to keep it realistic for something mommy and daddy could afford), and found some pennies in my purse.
Now, I realize some people say not to share your wish...but I am a little nosy so I asked what everyone wished for:
Mommy-the boys would be fully potty trained soon
Andy- Nana and Pop come for a visit
Doug- to be Princess Mia?????
....
Uh...
Well, to preface this Doug and I watched the last half of "The Princess Diaries 2" on TV while I was folding laundry this afternoon. We came in about the point in the movie where she is having a sleep-over with other princesses and does the mattress sliding down the steps.
So the conversation in the car went something like this:
Mommy: So Doug, what was it that you wished for at the fountain?
Doug: be Princess Mia
Mommy: Umm, to meet Princess Mia or to be Princess Mia...
Doug: to be Princess Mia
Daddy: Um, what about Doug?
Doug: Princess Douglas
Daddy: Princesses are girls and Princes are boys...do you want to be a prince
Doug: yeah, sure (I don't think he really cared...I think he just wanted to have and do the cool stuff she does in the movie).
..
Unfortunately, this really fits in with his personality. We had one hand-me-down bib when the boys were small that said "Little Prince" and one of our baby-sitters commented that she just couldn't put that bib on Andy because it fit Doug so well.

No comments: