Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Famine to Feast

To preface all of these developments in the last few days let me explain something...we moved our family to our current town of residence so that I could be a full time GA on campus with teaching duties. I was told that to determine whether I really wanted to be a professor I should experience what it was like. Ten years ago I was a research GA so I felt like I had already experienced that portion. Last year I was a bit disappointed to learn that I was going to do strictly research and no actual college level teaching. My research GA position was a little different in that I did more editing to my professors' work because I have more skills and knowledge than I did ten years ago. I did end up "co-teaching" a course but it amounted to me sitting in the class most of the time. I told them that I was disappointed and was promised a class in the Spring of 2009.
SO.....
Yesterday I discovered that I have the opportunity to co-teach a course with another graduate student and I said yes. Today I learned that I will be supervising the Internship course for gifted and talented teachers. So I went from no teaching responsibilities to a whole bunch.
In addition, after finding out that I would not be on one professor's grant I met up with my other professor and she said she has research money she would like to spend on me.
Woohoo!
Now I just have to find time for all of these hours.

2 comments:

Lisa C said...

Congratulations! Don't kill yourself, but that's wonderful news, and I would say a big compliment from your prof too!

Plan in some sanity time please (grin)!

Ann in NJ said...

That's great! Sometimes it's funny how things work out.

You juggled classes while commuting from Huntsville and working full time, so I'm sure you can make this work too.