Wednesday, August 27, 2008

How Rude

I was walking into a coffee shop today with the three kids and as I passed a bench a man looked at me. Then he said "bless your heart" (a VERY Southern phrase) and "you have your hands full."
Now I am used to all of these comments and usually just say yes, or smile, or say "only what God gave me" or something like that and usually that ends it.
BUT then he said "You need food stamps."
Now, I have nothing against food stamps and people who qualify for food stamps and don't get me started on the conflict between people saying they are a Christian but who wants to cut funding for programs that help "the least of these" as the Bible says.
However, I am trying to figure out why this man seems to think that having three children close in age qualifies me for food stamps (and him not even knowing for sure that they were all mine...Doug and Andy could definitely pass for friends rather than twin brothers at first glance). For all he knows I could have been the CEO of a major company, a doctor out with my children, an heiress to a million dollar fortune, etc.
I am not quite sure why his comment has me so pissed off. I wish I could say that I put him in his place, but I walked on in disbelief that someone would utter such a thing without knowing anything about me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you could soon be the CEO of a major company right after you finish your Ph.D. and take the children back to the coffee shop. If you become the Heiress to a million dollar fortune, do you think I could go back to school also? BTW, I looked at the food stamp phamplet to see if we could qualify, we make just enough to not qualify. Isn't that great?!?

Some people don't know how to say what they mean to say. Like, "It must be tough making it with crew like that one" You just have to say "HUBALUBAOUGHA" and move on.

Ann in NJ said...

Trust me, you're more likely to need food stamps when they're teenagers. However, they won't be caught DEAD walking into a coffee store with you at that point.

Perhaps Doug was looking particularly skinny, and Andy looked hungry? "Please sir, may I have some more?"