Sunday, August 3, 2008

Things that make you go ...hmmmmm

Well, summer is rapidly coming to a close here in the Southeast where school starts very, very early. Reflecting on my summer is interesting. It has been a mixed bag.
Bad: We came back from our impromptu trip to get the car fixed to find that someone broke into the house. They only took two things, but still a bit disturbing and now we have a basement window to fix on top of any other house repairs we have been contemplating.
Good: Over the weekend I also gained an additional Grad Assistant position so I will be officially .75 employed
Bad: Since I am .75 employed I have to decide whether to apply for permission to take three classes as I had planned or to just take the recommended two classes (how insane am I)
Good: The car fix wasn't bad and certainly was better priced than if we had gone here to the dealership (even if we drove 5 hours to my in-laws to get there)
Bad: Of the goals I had for over the summer, I have finished exactly one...yes...just a single, lonely, solo one goal of all that I had. I have applied for student financial aid. The boys are not potty trained (despite what the ped suggested and made me feel guilty for not having already done it but heck...they really don't appear that ready and from what I can find out about half of the kids who are of the male persuasion are not ready at age 3), I didn't get unpacked the rest of the way, I did not finish the paper I was working on from last Fall (yes that is some serious procrastination), and I did not play Everquest bunches during the summer.
Good: I did talk with the professor I want to have chair my dissertation committee
Bad: I probably should have sounded her out before I asked her, but well...I think her ideas are good for me even if they are not the "easy" way to get through the program (I don't know if that makes this a good thing or a bad thing).
Good: I did do a lot of reading for enjoyment this summer (probably part of the reason I didn't work on my paper...) and I haven't done that for a long, long time.

2 comments:

Jill in MA said...

Don't feel bad about the potty training. Their ped can say all he wants, but he can't make them ready.
Coincidentally, Sierra is watching her "Potty Power" video for the 3rd time in a row right now. She's at least saying she wants to wear underwear....

Ann in NJ said...

Sounds pretty par for the course, to me. And maybe slightly on the good side. We always plan too much for summer, then spend lots of time being lazy.

I agree with Jill - you can't make them be ready, and sometimes, the more you push, they harder they push back. However, I think you've made progress and should try to keep that up.